Saturday 9 October 2010

Ding Dong the bells are gonna chime!

There are drinks and girls all over London,
and I've gotta track 'em down in just a few more hours!
I'm getting married in the morning!
Ding dong! The bells are gonna chime.
Pull out the stopper! Let's have a whopper!
But get me to the church on time!

Great lyrics from perhaps my favourite musical of all time. Its a song that you either hate it or love, but one's things constant, the character singing the song - the jolly ol' Doolittle is one whom u love to hate yet hate the fact that you do love his eccentricities. I have no intentions on educating how great the work from great old Georgie Bernie Shaw and the talented Alan Jay Lerner that has entertained generations, but I'm here to share to all who actually tuned in to my little cyberspace project that I am 'getting married in the morning'....

I can't describe my feelings right now, but its that of pure happiness. Yvonne and I have decided to get married a few months ago and have selected 10.10.10 to be the PERFECT day to make things official. (the reception dinner is only gonna be in January). I know its a corny date... but hell... this way - i can never forget the it!

Its truly an amazing experience and I can't wait for tomorrow. Like from the play i can relate to when Eliza sings 'i could have danced all nite and still have begged for more. I could have spread my wings and done a thousand things, i've never done before'.... That's exactly how I feel like tonight. I really can't wait for it to start and be officially a married man!

We'll be getting married at the Chempaka Buddhist Lodge at approximately 8.20am. We've decided to keep it a small do with just our direct families as the place is not very big and we fear that the 3 hour long prayer session may be just a bit long and tiring for some.

Its funny coz I was once a hopeless romantic always looking for the cheesy cliche-ish line to put on a smile... always believed in rose petals , poetry and scented candles, etc, etc.... But in recent times i find myself hopelessly obsessed with practicality.

Hence, whenever people asked us stories about how I proposed' I regretfully answer that urm... 'well I did it the practicall way, urm.... we discussed the idea of marriage' and that was it. Which is true - we did discuss about it and a chain of events occured.

Well in a way, how we got to tomorrow is somewhat similar to the 'green card' model.. you know that hallmark movie with Gerard Depardieu... where the the movie poster reads - 'The story of two people who got married, met and then fell in love'...

well our story is slightly different... the love part clearly came first... however the lead up to the marriage was interesting...

we agreed on a date then we informed our parents individually.. then i asked her parents permission to marry her... then i bought the wedding band... made the engagement ring MUCH later... then had a proposal with the bended knees on the beach of kuching in front of my dear friends with a mock ring made by me sista from another motha and fatha (ms mah of course) which she made from the leaves she found under her butt (don't ask)... and that folks.. is how tomorrow came to be!

I would like to thank everyone for your warm wishes either via fb or sms. Really appreciate them. To the dirty half dozen who volunteered to play paparazzi tomorrow, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind generosity.

As for me... i really should get to bed...
bed? I couldn't go to bed!
My head's too light to try to set it down!
Sleep! Sleep! I couldn't sleep tonight.
Not for all the jewels in the crown!
I could have danced all night!
I could have danced all night!
And still have begged for more.
I could have spread my wings
And done a thousand things
I've never done before.

Good night folks.. today is my last night of singledom. Tonight, I give up my bachelor's degree... and prepare for my ever after!

2 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

so well written as always. here i am wishing you two, everlasting happiness and welcome to married life!

SLACKER said...

thanks joeboy... hope all is well down under...